Edinburgh & Lothians Regional Equality Council
Charity registered in Scotland SC007896
- Good HQ
Aims & objectivesEdinburgh & Lothians Racial Equality Council (ELREC), founded in 1971, is a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity made up of individual members and representatives from a wide range of organisations. ELREC has a remit to work across the areas of City of Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian Councils Aims: a) To work towards the elimination of racial discrimination b) To promote equalityof opportunity and good relations between persons of different racial groups.
- Job number
- Time of attendance
- Monday - Friday
- No of references
- Hours (per week)
- Not supplied
- Salary (£/hr)
- £9 per hour
- Ensure that administration systems and procedures are in place to support the full range of activities and work plans undertaken by ELREC and its staff and members.
- Manage the day to day activities of a busy office environment, including answering phones, meeting clients, reception duties, mail receipt and distribution, maintenance of ELREC's files and systems, and word processing activities. Some advice and referral work will be expected at this first point of enquiry.
- Assist with all external business contracts held by ELREC with Finance Officer and Line Management.
- Assist with support and maintaining IT related systems, including Network, Server, Emails and Website.
- Assist in managing the personnel activities in conjunction with Line Management. This includes contracts of employment, offer letters, absence/sick leave records etc.
- Manage the Health and Safety requirements of a busy office environment and refer to Line Management items requiring action.
- Support the Management Board, General Purpose Committee, Personnel and Membership Sub-Committee of ELREC. This includes the preparation of agendas, minutes and minute taking and actioning matters arising where appropriate.
- Contribute to the business development of the organisation e.g., assist in the production, promotion and marketing of ELREC publications and products.
- Assist in supervising and support volunteers and non-paid employees of ELREC e.g. trainees and placement students.
- Any other appropriate duties deemed relevant by the Line Management.
- Communication – Ability to convey and receive messages, verbally, non-verbally and written, in a positive and effective way.
- Have good interpersonal skills, including good writing, presentation and listening skills with the aim of becoming an effective negotiator.
- Teamwork – Ability to work well with others and understand the impact of one’s behaviour on the dynamics and success of each team that they are part of.
- Problem Solving attitude and progress towards good decision making
- Ability to identify, research, analyse and progress towards resolving problems and making informed and effective decisions.
- Computer literacy including word processing, spreadsheets and other applications, in order to produce well-presented material for correspondence, reports and other documents
- Develop an understanding of anti-discrimination and anti-harassment practices would be desirable.
The post holder is expected to learn to carry out a range of office duties, become able to work under pressure and develop good organisational and communication skills.
- Creativity and Innovation
- Development – Ability to develop oneself and others.
- Ability to formulate new ideas, or to adapt, or to use existing ideas, in a new or unexpected way.
- Progress towards achieve targets and exceed expectations.
- Experience of working with equality communities.