West Lothian Youth Foundation
Charity registered in Scotland SC042721
- Good HQ
Aims & objectivesWest Lothian Youth Foundation’s key purpose is to use football as an activity to promote the educational and health development of members of the West Lothian Community with particular emphasis on targeting those who are typically less engaged with these activities and may be failing to achieve their full potential.
- Job number
- Time of attendance
- Five out of seven days including weekends and evening work, but will required to be flexible
- No of references
- Hours (per week)
- Not supplied
- Salary (£/hr)
- £6.15 - £8.21 depending on age
The primary purpose of the Foundation is to use football as an activity to promote the educational and health development of members of the Community who are typically less engaged with these activities and may be failing to achieve their full potential.
The Trainee Community Coach will assist the Foundation in its aims and goals in supporting the local community through the numerous courses and initiatives we deliver.
The Trainee Community Coach will work closely with our key partners Livingston Football Club, West Lothian Council, Scottish Football Association, West Lothian Leisure (Xcite) and West Lothian College to strengthen the overall provision of community football activities throughout the county of West Lothian.
The Foundation Programme will encourage access to a healthy sporting activity at a level suitable for the participant with the opportunity to progress in a systematic manner. Whether it’s the early desire to play the game, learn about the game, develop as a player and build confidence as an individual, prepare for competition and finally prepare to win, the Foundation will be there to guide them through it all.
Main purpose of the role:
The role is based throughout West Lothian and will help support the Foundations Community Coaching Team in the implementation of the organisations key strategic aims and goals. The trainee Community Coach will also support and assist the Foundations General Manager and Programme Coordinator.
An essential element of this post will be in ensuring the Foundation meet and achieves our key aims: Engaging Communities, Supporting Grassroots Football, Developing Elite Players and Charitable Activities.
The post holder will be responsible for the promotion of the small sided game among children, programmes for specific target groups, organisation of football development courses and activities, club and coach development and assisting in developing appropriate pathways for young people to achieve their potential in football.
The successful applicant will work from West Lothian Youth Foundations offices at Livingston FC.
• Assist and support in the delivery of all football participation activities, including and not limited to, soccer centres, mini kickers, holiday programmes and WLYF micro academy.
• Coach young people and specific target groups.
• Develop, prepare and implement football coaching plans.
• Assist and support the administration of the football programmes.
• To be fully conversant with the West Lothian Youth Foundation Development and Strategic Plans, ensuring that all policies and procedures are adhered to.
• To create and provide lesson/session plans.
• To take and keep accurate records of attendance at all coaching sessions.
• To update the West Lothian Youth Foundations General Manager and Programme Coordinator after each coaching session or initiative.
• To work in line with the West Lothian Youth Foundations policies and regulations, helping to implement department policy, being accountable for the participants in all sessions.
• To ensure long term sustainable participation by creating and developing close links to various sporting groups within West Lothian
• To work with other staff to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the programme and initiatives including health and safety requirements.
• Assist in the implementation of the Foundations strategy and business plans in conjunction with the organisations partners and national agencies.
• Support the development of West Lothian’s young footballers in line with the Foundations key aims, no matter what ability they hold and what level they aspire to achieve.
• Assist in the co-ordination of football festivals, events and other competitions as required.
• Implement appropriate health and safety procedures and legislative requirements.
• Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of football development in West Lothian.
• To monitor participants and to liaise accordingly with partner groups.
• To undertake other appropriate administrative duties.
• To provide West Lothian Youth Foundations General Manager and Programme Coordinator with reports of progress made against agreed targets.
• To attend relevant training with the support of the West Lothian Youth Foundation.
• To follow and adhere to West Lothian Youth Foundations policies & procedures including and not limited to employment, child protection and finance.
• To promote West Lothian Youth Foundation to the public.
• To carry out any other reasonable duties as require which are commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of the post should the job change and evolve over time.
• Experience of working with or coaching young people, this doesn't need to be in a football environment.
• Be highly motivated, imaginative, have an enthusiastic manner and display leadership qualities.
• Possess good interpersonal skills and be able to work successfully as part of a team.
• Be articulate with good communication and presentation skills, computer literate in a variety of software packages.
• Qualified to NC level
• Experience of organising or been involved in school and community sports projects, events, festivals, session plans.
• Experience of effective partnership working with organisations like Active Schools, facility providers, schools, clubs, and other relevant agencies.
• A good understanding of sport and coaching principles.
• Experience of financial budgeting
Knowledge and Experience:
• Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people - aware of the duty of care required when working with young people.
• Aware of health and safety issues - able to identify and respond appropriately to potential hazards and concerns.
• Strong communication skills including good etiquette when writing letters and making phone calls. Good interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Organisational and administrative skills – able to manage own time and take initiative, be able to prioritise.
• Passionate about helping young people learn and develop.
• Positive attitude; enthusiastic and able to act as a strong leader and role model to young people and peers.
• Reliable with excellent time keeping and time management skills, able to organise and to take initiative.
• Commitment to personal learning and development.
• Flexible attitude - willingness to work unsociable hours, evenings and weekends (as and when required).
• A commitment to upholding West Lothian Youth Foundations values, objectives, policies and procedures.
• Willing to work irregular hours in the evening and weekend
• Access to a car is not essential but having access and the ability to use public transport links is.
• PVG membership
Additional informationOur organisation will provide a wide range of in house and external training which will support the successful candidate with their long term employability aspirations
Required - can start subject to a successful Disclosure/PVG scheme membership