- Amina - the Muslim Women's Resource Centre
Aims & objectivesNot supplied
- Job number
- Time of attendance
- Monday to Friday: 9am to 6pm
- No of references
- Hours (per week)
- Not supplied
- Salary (£/hr)
Job Description: Project Development Assistant
Hours of work: 25 hours per week, initially for 1 year from start date
Salary: £9 per hour
Location: Glasgow office with occasional travel
Holidays: 37.5 days per annum - pro rata (inclusive of public holidays)
Pension: Defined contribution pension scheme based on employer contributions of 5% plus additional employee contributions
Eligibility Criteria: Aged between 18 to 29 years and must be unemployed
Amina MWRC is a national organisation which works with Muslim and Black and Minority Ethinic (BME) women by giving them opportunities to have their voices heard and to improve their skills and become more confident in participating in their own communities and at a wider level.
Currently we have two national projects – the helpline/campaigns and development project and the Ending Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) project. These projects are funded until 30th June 2020, with a possibility of further funding to continue this work.
The projects have the following core aspects to their work:
1. A national helpline for Muslim women run by staff and trained volunteers Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm
2. Schools work which involves engaging pupils in activities and conversations to promote positive aspects of Muslims in Scotland
3. Raising awareness of ways to tackle hate crime including Islamophobia
4. Campaigns which seek to tackle the negative stereotyping of Muslim women, by enabling Muslim women to have their voices heard.
5. Campaigns to prevent VAWG such as #YouCanChangeThis
6. Recruiting, training and supporting volunteers, and reporting on their progress
7. Organise events for Muslim and BME women
8. Building and working in partnership with organisations and community groups
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• The Project Development Assistant will support the projects mentioned above with all elements of the projects in Glasgow and specific areas within the South of Scotland.
• Take helpline calls and where possible, support volunteers who take calls.
• Work with the Development Officers to induct, support and identify training needs of volunteers undertaking helpline or development work.
• Use social and creative media to promote both projects.
• Identify women’s groups, classes, gatherings to engage with Muslim and BME women to promote the services as well as deliver development work.
• Publicise the projects outwith Amina and network with other relevant organisations and groups.
• Work with the Amina team to assist with organising local and national events.
• Keep up to date with legislation and policy related to equalities issues affecting Muslim and BME women.
• Initiate and participate in fundraising activities.
• Participate in staff meetings as required; and participate in regular support and supervision sessions.
• Take responsibility for your learning and development
• Maintain databases and undertake any other administrative duties.
• Maintain accurate records of all work undertaken by the projects.
• Any other duties in line with this post as directed by your line manager.
Person Specification: Project Development Assistant (Glasgow)
All of the following requirements will be assessed from a combination of information provided from the application form, the interview process and references:
1. Excellent verbal, written, communication and presentation skills with experience of report writing and maintaining clear, accurate records.
2. Excellent organisational skills, the ability to use your own initiative, prioritise competing workloads and meet deadlines when required.
3. Ability to demonstrate an active commitment towards equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice.
4. Ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity to the opinions of others.
5. Experience of working with marginalised communities, e.g. Black and Minority Ethnic, particularly Muslim women
6. Experience of using social and creative media.
7. Good IT skills including word processing and database management.
8. Experience of contributing effectively as a team member.