- Global Justice Now Scotland
Aims & objectivesGlobal Justice Now is a democratic social justice organisation working as part of a global movement to challenge the powerful and create a more just and equal world.
- Job number
- Time of attendance
- Ideally over four days, Monday to Thursday, but this can be discussed with the successful candidate
- No of references
- Not supplied
- Hours (per week)
- Salary (£/hr)
Global Justice Now is a democratic social justice organisation working, as part of a global movement, to challenge the powerful and create a more just and equal world. We mobilise people in the UK for change, and act in solidarity with those fighting injustice, particularly in the global south.
We have a history of campaigning with activists, civil society organisations and social movements across the world on a range of issues, from opposing water privatisation to demanding a just solution to the climate crisis. We put pressure on decision-makers, organise public opposition to harmful policies, and produce robust research which shows there are alternatives to corporate-led globalisation.
We are playing a leading role in the movement against undemocratic trade deals (such as TTIP), fighting climate change and campaigning against corporate power.
We have two offices in the UK. Our main office is located in south London, where the majority of our staff work. We also have a small staff team in our office in Edinburgh. This job will be located in Edinburgh.
Global Justice Now has had an office in Scotland since 1999. Our remit is to adapt and develop Global Justice Now campaigns to the Scottish context, provide support to our Scottish local groups and activists and to engage with the public, politicians, other campaigning organisations and the media.
We work on a range of campaign issues, including international trade, climate change and corporate power.
We organise events to highlight our campaigns and engage the public in them. We produce Scottish-specific campaign materials, our own newsletter, promotional materials and online content for Global Justice Now’s website. We also run social media accounts to support our campaigns.
Our staff team in Scotland currently consists of:
Head of Scottish campaigns and activism
Campaigns and activism officer
Events and communications officer
All three staff work from our office in Edinburgh. We work closely with the staff based in our office in London.
Job description for Outreach and Activism Assistant
Much of this role is outward facing, including helping organise events that engage people with our campaigns. There is also a focus on helping expand our UK-wide Youth Network into Scotland by getting more young people involved. This role will also contribute to our communications outputs and general campaigning work.
The role of the outreach and activism assistant will include the following:
• Undertaking research to support our outreach work and particularly the development of our youth network into Scotland, and contributing ideas about how best to expand the network.
• Playing a part in organising events, including coming up with ideas for events that link with our campaigns and might particularly reach young audiences.
• Helping with the logistics of organising events, such as finding and booking venues, co-ordinating speakers and ordering catering.
• Helping to promote and publicise our events.
• Attending and helping out at some of our events.
• Looking for opportunities to have stalls at events not organised by us (such as festivals), and organising those stalls.
• Contributing ideas to improve our social media reach, helping with the day to day running of our social media channels and helping assess our progress and success with this.
• Attending regular team meetings and youth network co-ordination meetings.
• Helping with some of the basic administrative duties of our Scottish team.
• Help members of our Scottish team with other activities, where appropriate.
More important than your experience will be the personal qualities that you can bring to the job and the way you show us how your passion and interests support your application for this post.
1. Some experience of being part of a campaign (on any issue)
2. Some experience of organising something with young people
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND UNDERSTANDING
1. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both verbal and written forms
2. IT literacy (including knowledge of Word, email and social media)
3. Ability to prioritise work effectively, with good attention to detail, and to meet deadlines
1. Interest in global politics and social justice issues
2. Involvement in organising events
1. Outgoing, with a positive, ‘can-do’ approach to work
2. Commitment to Global Justice Now’s values and aims
3. The ability to work reliably and flexibly, as part of a team
4. Respect for Global Justice Now’s equal opportunities policy
5. Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends (for which time off in lieu will be given)