SCVO media release
25 February 2015
Despite loving working in third sector 1 in 2 charity workers are looking for a new job for better pay & more job security
The findings of a survey of more than 1,000 people working in charities and third sector organisations, published today by Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO), found that despite 89% of staff saying their work is meaningful and worthwhile, 50% are looking for a new job owing to low pay and job insecurity.
John Downie, Director of Public Affairs, SCVO said:
“We’ve identified two key trends here. On the one hand people working in charities are generally very enthusiastic about the work they do, the people they work with and making a real difference to other people’s lives.
“But on the other hand, when it comes to factors beyond our sector’s control, such as funding cuts, welfare changes and the legacy of the economic crisis which have led to low pay, job losses and working extra hours to keep up with demand, we’re understandably seeing strong frustration among staff.
“The First Minister has committed to delivering longer term three-year funding for charities and third sector organisations, which would help to alleviate a lot of these concerns and free up charities to make an even bigger difference to people’s lives. But so far progress has been moving at glacial speed. We need much more decisive action from the government and local authorities, and for charities to be treated as equal partners in the delivery of our public services.”
1. The Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations is the membership organisation for Scotland’s charities, voluntary organisations and social enterprises. The Scottish third sector turns over £4.5 billion a year and employs 138,000 people in over 45,000 organisations.
2. Read the full report on the survey
3. A total of 1,020 people responded to the survey, 900 of which were included in analysis. 889 responses were from people who currently work in the third sector and 11 responses were from people who have previously worked in the third sector
4. The findings are being released as thousands of people working in the third sector come together for SCVO’s two-day event at the SECC, Glasgow. Find full details about The Gathering, including events listings.
5. For interviews/further comment, please contact Charlotte McNeill, Press Officer at SCVO, on 0779 060 1995